Monday, May 18, 2009

The day after

Well, we had to go today to make sure that when I lost the baby that I actually lost everything, so that I wouldn't have to have a D&C or DNC or however you spell that. It was very hard, because I think we both held out hope that I was just ridiculous and really didn't know what I was talking about when I said I lost the baby. I think it would have been an ok experience, except that the two "doctors" in labor and delivery made things less than wonderful. The first one I don't really blame, it wasn't her fault.

She came in the room and said: "well, I see that you were here on Saturday experiencing a little bit of bleeding. But it says right here that they did an ultrasound and you were having a healthy pregnancy, so what brings you in today?"

Seriously?

I knew they weren't necessarily taking me seriously on Saturday but Seriously? That's what you wrote on my chart?

So I looked at her and said "The reason I came in Saturday was because I was having severe contraction pain and a lot of blood loss, and yesterday I lost the baby".

The poor girl looked like she was about to cry. But then of course she says "How do you know?"

So I had to explain how I knew. Then she leaves.

Then the bubbliest doctor in the entire world comes into my room and says "So, I understand you think you've lost the baby, can you tell me why you think so?"

I'm thinking "Sure. I just love retelling this story over and over again"

So when I finally convince them, that they should probably do an ultrasound they do.

The doctor turns the machine around and says "Ok. Here is your uterus, and here is where the baby should be. I am finding no evidence whatsoever of a pregnancy in here".

Great bedside manner! I mean, I knew that I had lost the baby, but that isn't exactly the nicest way to confirm it, right?

So needless to say, it was a rough afternoon.

Overall though, everyone is being very considerate and supportive. I appreciate all the facebook comments, messages, and blog comments you have all sent our way. Just keep us in your prayers as we process all of this.

We know God is in control, even thought we may not understand why it has happened the way it has.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i am so disturbed by the phrase "there is no evidence of a pregnancy here." like it never even happened.

it happened.

God created.

i'm painting something in its memory! i don't know why, really. it won't ever have any pictures, birthdays, or even a name. but it will have a painting.