Sunday, July 21, 2013

Our Summer (so far)

It has been awhile since I have updated the ole blog! Part of this is because every time I think about having to upload our pictures to make the blog interesting, I cringe. The main reason is because this past week was literally the first week since school let out that we were in town, and didn't have anything we had to participate in. It has been a whirlwind of a summer, and I am thankful I still have one month left until inservice!

School let out on June 5th, and we left on June 9th for Nashville! Casey took the youth to Mfuge at Belmont University, and since my sister Allison lives there, I thought it would be a fun idea to go with them and hang out with her. So, my mom, me, and the girls made the LOOOOOOONG trek to Nashville. We had a great time trying new restaurants, getting to do ministry with Casey at some Rec Centers, going to the zoo, roaming around the Gaylord Opryland Hotel, eating lunch and shopping at the Farmer's Market, shopping downtown, and spending time with Aunt Allison. The only two downfalls were that 1) The girls did NOT want to sleep at the hotel, so it was a challenge getting rest and 2) It was such a LOOOOOOOONG trip. But, I would definitely follow Casey to camp again, because it was nice getting to not be apart from him for the whole week. Here are a few pictures:



Up until recently, I have been very blessed to still have all 4 of my grandparents, still living. The last week of April, my dad got a phone call that his 93 year old dad, had a heart attack. For two months my dad was back and forth between Oklahoma taking care of his mom and dad, every single weekend. My grandparents were married for almost 73 years, and had been living in the same house for more than 60 years! When my grandpa had his heart attack we had to move my grandma into assisted living, and my grandpa was put into a rehab nursing home. He was doing really well rehabbing, but the week before we left for Nashville he was taken to the hospital again, and took a turn for the worst. The next to last day we were in Nashville, my Grandpa King passed away. He lived a very wonderful, full, long, life. The funeral was set for Monday, and we arrived home from Nashville on Friday at 12:30am. Casey did not arrive until Saturday night, late. We left right after church on Sunday to make it in time for the visitation, attended the funeral on Monday, and turned around and came home that same day. Needless to say, we were a tiny bit burnt out on traveling by this point. But, I will say, that the girls did AWESOME traveling. I really couldn't have asked for them to be any better than they were, which was a blessing!

For the remainder of that week, and the following week, Kailey attended swimming lessons at UHMB. This was our first summer of lessons, and she did really well. Up until this summer she has been completely afraid of the water, but she did SO great, and by the end she was jumping off the diving board (still with floaties) with no fear. Here are a few pics of her:



The first week of swimming lessons, the girls also had their 3 year and 5 year check-ups, and passed with flying colors! I also had a teacher workshop for 3 days, which really felt like inservice. :( But when I got done, I realized I still had 2 months of summer left, which was a relief! The second week of swimming lessons, we had Vacation Bible School at church. This was the first year that both girls really understood where we were, what we were doing, and they had so much fun! The only downfall was that it was from 6:30-8:45, 5 nights in a row, so needless to say our sleep schedule got waaaay off, and honestly has not fully recovered!

The following week was the 4th of July! We went back to the Yogi Bear Jellystone resort in Burleson, Texas with Casey's family. That place is just so much fun! In fact, we already reserved our cabin for next summer! We celebrated Casey's 32nd birthday while we were there, participated in a 4th of July parade, and had a lot of fun swimming and other random things.



Kailey left Yogi Bear with Casey's parents, to spend the week in Louisiana. We got home from Yogi Bear on Friday night (the 5th), and then on Sunday, Makenna, my sister Emily, and I left for Oklahoma. As I mentioned earlier, my grandparents had lived in their house for a little over 60 years. And my grandmother literally had never thrown anything away in her life. Seriously. Twisty ties. Plastic bags. Cool Whip containers. Medicine cups. The list goes on. So, we headed up to the house to help my mom and dad (and my sister Laura and brother-in-law Kyle, who also live in Oklahoma) clean out the house. Oh my. Words cannot express what a task this was. We literally took 4 huge loads to the dump, and still had gobs of trinkets, and such to sell at an Estate Sale. We ended up only selling like 1/2 of what we had, and then on the last day of the sale we just told the people that were there to take whatever they wanted for $5! Most of it got hauled away by them, and then my parents took one more load to the dump. My parents arrived at the house on July 4th, and came home on July 14th. It was quite the task! Casey came up on Thursday of that week, and brought Makenna and I home on Saturday. On our way through Dallas, we picked up Kailey, and headed home. By this time, I was even more burnt out on traveling!

This past week was our first week at home without a single thing to do. It was glorious and boring all at the same time. I have come to the conclusion that if I was a full-time stay at home mom, I would be horrible at it. I think I would atrophy into nothing. I am so LAZY! I don't fix my hair, I don't wear make-up, I don't plan fun things for the kids. Eesh. Not to mention that my children have both given up their naps until their teenage years.

I am hoping I am wrong about this, and that I was just tired from traveling. Of course it didn't help that it rained all week and we couldn't go to the splash pad. Needless to say, this week I am going to be one of those really great stay-at-home Pinterest moms that plans cool things like making Moon Sand and finger painting in Ziplock bags. After all, we do still have a month of summer, so hopefully we can still have some at-home fun!

Although we do still have two short trips planned.

Eesh.