Friday, October 3, 2008

Discouraging end to the school day

My day was going so great at school (as most Friday's do..). Today was the end of the first six weeks and I actually got all my grades done and submitted right before sixth period! I was so impressed with myself and it is such an accomplished feeling. Then I got discouraged. Yesterday and today my students have been taking this new-fangled test called a "TCA Benchmark". Basically it is a miniature TAKS test that my students will now have to take at the end of every six week period. This in itself is mind-boggling because I do not teach for the TAKS test until March and April. Right now we are focusing on writing projects, prepositions, and genre. All of which, were not on this "TCA Benchmark". So the kids have to sit there and read 3 passages and answer 16 questions about these passages. I, of course, have been asking them the main idea and author's purpose of the stories we have been reading in our genre unit, but just out loud. I have not done a "main idea" lesson because that is not part of our unit. So anyway, I go to grade these dang tests and only 44% passed. That is discouraging, but when I really think about it, it's not. I mean I haven't taught them how to read the passages, or how to answer the questions. That is why it is so absurd they are even having to take it in the first place! Anyway, the thing that is discouraging to me is that my results will be compared with the 2 other 6th grade English teachers. One of them will probably be similar to my results, but then the other will have blown us out of the water. The main reason for this is that she has 2 Pre-AP classes with 25 GT identified students. I have 1 Pre-AP class with 2 GT identified students. I can hand those two kids a jiblet of paper and they can create something amazing--my point being YOU DON'T HAVE TO TEACH THEM ANYTHING FOR THEM TO "GET IT". Unfortunately even though we have pointed out to my principal 3500 times that the classes aren't even he says they are. So I am so upset that I am going to be compared with these other teachers and be "failing" in the eyes of whoever looks at this test. So basically, if I had to summarize my rambling thoughts, I am going to have TAKS anxiety at the end of every 6 week period now instead of just in April. FUN TIMES!

I apologize for being so negative, but I am sooo discouraged! On the bright side, Kailey is doing well! She had her first "snack time" at daycare the other day. It was so cute to think about her being big enough to do that! She is almost 10 months old. Crazy! (Was that good enough for a positive spin? I hope so because it's all you're getting! haha)

No comments: