Monday, March 28, 2011

It's that Time Again!

The time of the year, that is, that you get to hear me whine about the stress of the TAKS test! Well actually, I am hoping to not whine about it as much.

This past week began "the countdown". 5 weeks til TAKS (4 as of today, yipes!). Whenever this time of year comes around, I get very stressed, and emotional. We are just under so much pressure to be "recognized". All, with a bunch of students who really do NOT care about school, success, education, you name it! It is very hard to stay positive, and not feel like everything is falling apart. This year especially I am nervous, because I have 120 students, with 3 classes close to 30. I spend most of the class period just trying to keep everybody in their seat and not touching each other or throwing things! I am worried they are not paying attention to me in the slightest! On Thursday, I had an emotional breakdown after school. Just crying, big huge tears, just from being so overwhelmed.

But then last night, I read Chapter 7 of "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. If you haven't read this book....I highly suggest it. It is about giving thanks in the middle of trials, or even just in our everyday lives. Last night, it was about finding the joy, and God's blessings, in the midst of stress.

Hmmm. Holy Spirit much?

So today, and for the rest of these 4 weeks, I am going to find the things to give thanks for in the midst of the stress, and be grateful for all I have been given through this job of mine. Because, I am very blessed to have a teaching job, with all of the state's budget cuts to education!

Here is my list so far, for Monday:

1. A wonderful principal
2. A school, full of co-workers I am comfortable with.
3. My very sweet, first period class.
4. My cute room, decorated in black, white, and blue.
5. My word wall, that is finally getting developed.
6. Books.
7. School supplies.
8. Eyes to see.
9. An Elmo. (not from sesame street).
10. A projector.
11. A laptop
12. Busy writers.

That's all for now! :)

Makenna's 10 month post, coming soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great post, Sarah. I pray that the Lord blesses you beyond measure during this stressful time of year. Praise God for a way to physically release stress - keep on crying those big ol tears if you have too. ;)